German Chancellor Fellowship
Advice on finding a host
In order to be able to apply for a German Chancellor Fellowship, you will need a host in Germany whom you select yourself. As your mentor, the host will be expected to support you in conducting your project and to provide an appropriate position for you.
The role of host can be taken on by anyone working for a public or private institution in Germany. Your host’s field of work must be related to the project you would like to conduct in Germany, and you will be required to coordinate your project with your host prior to application. To apply for the fellowship, you will need the binding commitment and a letter of recommendation from your future host (Form for the proposed host and confirmation of support).
To make the process of contacting a potential host a little easier for you, we have prepared a letter that includes the most important information about the fellowship as well as the duties and benefits of being a host. You are welcome to forward this letter to your chosen host.
Here are some tips and useful information on finding a host in Germany:
- Start looking for a host as early as possible. Bear in mind that July and August are holiday periods in Germany.
- Contact the alumni association of German Chancellor Fellows in your own country:
Alumni Association of German Chancellor Fellows from China
Alumni Association of German Chancellor Fellows from Russia
American Friends of the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation
Brazil and India do not yet have alumni associations.
- Approach German companies or organisations in your own country that may be able to assist you with establishing contacts in Germany, for instance the Goethe Institutes, German embassies and consulates, or the network of German Chambers of Commerce abroad.
- Make use of your own professional and private contacts. Perhaps you know somebody who already has connections in Germany and who could help you to find initial ports of call or to establish some useful contacts?
- Be persistent! Do not be discouraged if you receive a rejection, but try again elsewhere. If one person at a particular institution is not able to offer their support, ask them whether they can suggest someone else. Perhaps they have a colleague who might be interested?
- Take your time when preparing your application and make a convincing impression by writing a carefully considered letter. Describe what you are hoping to achieve with your project and explain the significance of the fellowship for your further professional career. Engage your host’s interest in working with you.
From the wide variety of potential institutions in Germany where you may find a host, we have compiled an overview of institutions that have already hosted German Chancellor Fellows. In some cases you will find links to specific examples of projects conducted:
- Amnesty for Women e.V.
- Berlin Social Science Center (WZB)
- Bootlab e.V.
- Börsenverein des Deutschen Buchhandels
- Bundesarbeitsgemeinschaft Wohnungslosenhilfe e.V.
- Bundesverband Deutsche Tafel e.V.
- Deutsch-Russisches Forum e.V.
- DIN German Institute for Standardization
- Ecologic – Institute for International and European Environmental Policy
Loni Gardner und Christopher Moore
- Energy Agency Rhineland-Palatinate
- Europäisches Energie- und Umweltforum e.V.
- European Institute for Sustainable Transport (Eurist) e.V.
- Evangelische Obdachlosenhilfe e.V.
- Expert Council of German Foundations on Integration and Migration
- Federal Foundation for the Reappraisal of the SED Dictatorship
- Foundation “Little Scientists' House”
- Foundation New Synagogue Berlin – Centrum Judaicum
- Fränkische Gesellschaft zur Förderung der
Deutsch-Chinesischen Zusammenarbeit e. V.
- German-American Dialog on Renewable Energy (GADORE)
- German Solar Industry Association
- German Institute for Economic Research (DIW Berlin)
Eric Borden und Matthew Tisdale
- German Institution of Arbitration (DIS)
- German Commitee for Disaster Reduction
- German Council on Foreign Relations
- German Resistance Memorial Center
- GEXSI – Global Exchange for Social Investment
- Global Public Policy Institute
Özge Güzelsu und Lauren Harrison
- Goethe-Institut Munich
- Green City e.V.
- Hanns Seidel Foundation
- Hydra – Treffpunkt und Beratung für Prostituierte
- ICLEI – Local Governments for Sustainability
- Initiativ- und Planungsgruppe Kesselberg e.V.
- Insitute for Applied History – Society and Science in Dialogue
- Lake Constance Foundation
- Lebenshilfe: The Association for People with Mental Disability
- Mimikry – Counseling for Women in Prostitution
- Netzwerk Spiel/Kultur Prenzlauer Berg e.V.
- PARA-SOL Verein für angewandte Kultur e.V.
- Prussian Cultural Heritage Foundation
- Society for Threatened Peoples
- Stiftung Mercator
- Stiftung Wissenschaft und Politik – German Institute for International and Security Affairs
- The Ruhr Regional Association
- Topography of Terror Foundation
- Typographische Gesellschaft München e.V.
- Wirtschaftlich Menschlich e.V.
- Bamberg State Library
- Bayerische Staatskanzlei
- Behörde für Stadtentwicklung und Umwelt Hamburg
- BIBB – Federal Institute for Vocational Education and Training
- Federal Centre for Health Education
- Federal Highway Research Institute
Keith Michael Platte
- Federal Foreign Office
- Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation, Building and Nuclear Safety
- Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Energy
- Federal Office for Radiation Protection
- Federal Office of Consumer Protection and Food Safety
- German Bundestag – Parliament of the Federal Republic of Germany
- Hessisches Ministerium für Wirtschaft, Verkehr und Entwicklung
- Landesamt für Denkmalpflege Hessen
- Landesarchiv Berlin
- Lower Saxony State Office for Consumer Protection and Food Safety
- Senate Department for Urban Development and the Environment (Berlin)
- Senatsverwaltung für Integration, Arbeit und Frauen (Berlin)
- Senat von Berlin
- Staatskanzlei Mecklenburg-Vorpommern
- Stadt Halle (Saale)
- Stadt Freiburg im Breisgau
- Wasserwirtschaftsamt Hof
- Baltic Sea International Campus
- CarboCycle Ingenieurbüro
- Chamber of Commerce and Industry of Berlin
- Chamber of Commerce and Industry of the Stuttgart region
- CIMA Beratung + Management GmbH
- Commerzbank AG
- Deutsche Bank AG
- Deutsche Management Akademie Niedersachsen
- duisport Agency GmbH
- Earlybird Venture Capital
- econcept - Agency for Sustainable Design
- European Central Bank
- facts und fiction GmbH
- HA Hessen Agentur GmbH
- HAMBURG WASSER
- Humanagement GmbH
- Mull und Partner Ingenieursgemeinschaft mbH
- PolyTechnos Venture-Partners
- Siemens AG
- Stylepark AG
- Trans Eurasia Logistics GmbH
- Archive Kabinett
- Art Laboratory Berlin e.V.
- Baden Art Association
- Bauhaus – Archiv museum of design
- ceramics Berlin
Anne Drew Potter
- Dresden State Art Collections
- English Theatre Berlin
- Hamburger Schauspielhaus
- Haus der Geschichte Bonn
- Institut für Theatertherapie
- Mime Centrum Berlin
- Schaubühne am Lehniner Platz
- State Academy of Fine Arts
- Staatliche Museen zu Berlin
- Staatstheater Darmstadt
- Staatstheater Stuttgart
- The Forsythe Company
- ZK/U Berlin – Center for Art and Urbanistics