International Climate Protection Fellowships
For young climate experts from developing countries interested in conducting a project in Germany and developing long-term collaborations
The fellowship allows future leaders to spend a year in Germany working on a research-based project of their own choice in the field of climate protection and climate-related resource conservation. Fellows are free to choose their own hosts. Submit an application if you come from a non-European transition or developing country (see list of countries) and are active in any of the following areas: scientific, engineering-based, legal, economic, health-related or social aspects of climate change.
During a three-week introductory phase, you will have the opportunity to make contact with other climate protection fellows and visit companies, research institutions and cultural events in Germany. An intensive German-language course before you begin the fellowship will smooth your way into everyday life in Germany whilst a continuing education event lasting several days in the course of the fellowship will enable you to acquire not only practical knowledge of climate protection but also expertise in management.
20 fellowships can be granted annually.
- University degree (Bachelor’s or equivalent) completed with outstanding results less than 12 years prior to the start of the fellowship
- Clearly visible leadership potential demonstrated by experience in a leadership position, or appropriate references
- Professional experience in a leadership role in the field of climate protection (at least 48 months at the time of application), or a further academic or professional qualification
- Very good knowledge of English and/or German
Additional requirements ...
- Initial practical experience gained in the context of climate protection projects
- A detailed statement by a host in Germany, including a mentoring agreement
- Citizenship of a non-European transition or developing country (see list of countries) which is also the fellow’s habitual abode and place of work
- Two expert references by individuals qualified to comment on the candidate’s professional, personal and, if applicable, academic eligibility and his / her leadership potential
- Fellowship amount according to qualifications between 2,150 EUR and 2,750 EUR per month
- Two-month intensive language course in Germany
- Lump sum for travel expenses
- Allowances for visits by family members lasting at least three months
- Allowance of 800 EUR per month for the host in Germany for projects in the natural and engineering sciences, and 500 EUR per month for projects in the humanities and social sciences
Additional benefits ...
- Allowance for a study or research visit to an institution in another European country lasting from one to two months
- Allowance for single parents accompanied by children
- Additional extension of the fellowship by up to three months if children under 12 also accompany the fellow to Germany
- Extensive alumni sponsorship
How are the application and selection procedures handled?
Applications must be completed online. The completed application form including all the necessary additional documentation must be submitted by the closing date for applications.
Immediately after submitting the documents, the applicant will receive a confirmation.
It is the applicant's responsibility to ensure that all the necessary documents have been submitted. Incomplete applications may be excluded from the selection procedure.
The proposed host in Germany should send his/her confidential statement directly to the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation by the closing date at the latest.
After reviewing the applications, an independent selection committee will decide, probably by the beginning of July 2015, which candidates will be invited to participate in a selection meeting in Germany lasting several days. This selection meeting will take place from 15 to 18 September 2015 and applicants will be given the opportunity to outline their project to the selection committee and the other applicants as well as to attend individual interviews held by the selection committee. At the end of the meeting the selection results will be announced.