International research awards for renowned academics from Germany

For whom
internationally recognised researchers
From where
For what
award money (invitation to a research stay possible)
Frau mit Umriss einer Weltkarte mit leuchtenden Punkten - Symbolbild Forschungspreise für Wissenschaftler*innen aus Deutschland

International research awards for renowned academics from Germany

Are you an academic working abroad? Would you like to nominate a researcher from Germany for an international research award? Then you may do so through the corresponding programmes of our partner organisations in your country.

Procedures and selection

The partner organisations of the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation manage the nomination process, carry out the selection procedure and determine award winners independently and according to their own regulations. In general, the award amount is accompanied by an invitation to conduct a research stay in your country of up to one year.

How to proceed

Your first step should be to check whether the Humboldt Foundation has signed an agreement on granting research awards with an organisation in your country (see table below). If so, please contact the corresponding partner organisation directly (addresses of partner organisations, PDF) to learn what requirements your candidate must meet and how you can nominate her/him.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us (info[at] We are happy to help.

The Humboldt Foundation has signed agreements on granting research awards with the following countries:

Europe North/Latin America Asia Africa Australia
Belgium Brazil India South Africa New Zealand
Finland Canada Israel    
France   Japan    
Netherlands   Korea    
    PR China    

Announcements from our partner organisations

All awards and grants