Capes-Humboldt Research Fellowship
The Capes-Humboldt Research Fellowship Programme is a joint fellowship programme of the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation and the Brazilian research funding organisation Capes (Coordenação de Aperfeiçoamento de Pessoal de Nível Superior).
The programme is addressed exclusively to researchers from Brazil. Applications must be submitted to Capes. The selection will be made by a selection committee, which is jointly appointed by Capes and the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation. The research fellows selected will be mentored by the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation during their stay in Germany. The sponsorship provisions correspond to those of the Humboldt Research Fellowship Programme.
The programme is jointly sponsored by the Humboldt Foundation and Capes. The programme is currently scheduled to continue until the end of 2019. The last selection meeting will take place end of 2017 and the corresponding application deadline is scheduled for 31 July 2017.
Information for postdoctoral researchers
Information for experienced researchers
For the time being, researchers from Brazil can only apply for a Capes-Humboldt Research Fellowship. For the duration of the joint Capes-Humboldt Programme, it is not possible to apply for a Humboldt Research Fellowship or Georg Forster Research Fellowship, as selection criteria and sponsorship provisions are identical.
Other important details
- Doctorate in Brazil or abroad with an official revalidation in Brazil; completed less than four years prior to the date of application for postdoctoral researchers and completed less than twelve years prior to the date of application for experienced researchers.
- Postdoctoral researchers: Academic publications reviewed according to international standards and printed in journals and/or by publishing houses.
Experienced researchers: The candidate's independent research profile documented by a comprehensive list of academic publications reviewed according to international standards and printed in journals and/or by publishing houses.
- Confirmation that research facilities are available and mentoring agreement and a detailed expert’s report by an academic host at a research institution in Germany. Details of the research outline including information on the intended duration of the fellowship must be agreed with the intended host before applying.
- Language skills: Natural scientists and engineers must have a good knowledge of German or English; physicians and researchers in the humanities and social sciences must have a good knowledge of German if it is necessary to carry out the research successfully; otherwise a good knowledge of English is required.
- Brazilian nationality or permanent residence visa in the country.
- Proven teaching or research activity in Brazil.
- Research already funded in other programmes cannot be financed again within the Capes-Humboldt Research Fellowship Programme.
- Potential applicants who have been in Germany for more than six months at the time of application are not eligible to apply.
- The Humboldt Foundation assumes that candidates will abide by the Rules of Good Scientific Practice and the ethical rules of the 7th EU Framework Programme during the application and sponsorship periods.
Applications for the Capes-Humboldt Research Fellowship Programme are to be submitted directly to Capes. It is not possible to submit applications to the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation.
Capes will confirm receipt of the application. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that he or she has submitted all the necessary documents.
Applications must be submitted as a single entity to avoid loss of documents or confusion of applications.
The selection decision will be made by a selection committee which is jointly appointed by Capes and the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation. The decision will be based on the documents submitted as well as the statement by the academic host and usually two independent peer reviews requested by Capes and the Humboldt Foundation.
The application documents and further information on the application process can be found on the Capes website at:
One of our hallmarks is the degree of support we try to provide for every single guest researcher. This is why we offer you extra benefits in addition to the monthly research fellowship: from invitations to events, via language courses to family allowances.
Once a Humboldtian, always a Humboldtian: Even after your research stay has come to an end, we shall still maintain close contact with you. Our alumni sponsorship is flexible and designed to support every Humboldtian’s particular path in life and development as well as collaborations between individuals.
This programme is financed by:
I have worked in an English-speaking country for several years. Do I need an English language certificate?
Can I apply before I have completed my doctorate?
What determines the date of a doctorate?
Which date is valid if I have several doctorates?
My doctorate was completed less than four years ago. Can I apply for a fellowship for experienced researchers?
My doctorate was completed more than four years ago. Can I apply for a fellowship for postdoctoral researchers?
I obtained my doctorate more than twelve years ago. Can I still apply?
Will you take into consideration the time I devoted to bringing up my children?
Do I need to know German in order to apply?
- Natural scientists and engineers: good knowledge of German or English is sufficient (language certificate required).
- Scholars in the humanities and social sciences: should have knowledge of German if it is necessary to carry out the research successfully. In this case, a German language certificate confirming proficiency must be submitted. Otherwise, a good knowledge of English is sufficient (language certificate required).
- Physicians: If the research involves work with patients, the candidate must have a good knowledge of German (language certificate required). Otherwise, a good knowledge of English is sufficient (language certificate required).
English or German is my native language. Do I have to submit a language certificate proving my proficiency?
I'm a physician (MD / Dr. med.). Are there any special admission requirements?
In addition, please read our Admission Questionnaire for Physicians (MD / Dr. med.) for detailed information.
If you have several research doctorates, the above mentioned FAQ on the subject of "several doctorates" applies.
I already am or recently have been in Germany. Are there any formal grounds militating against my application?
- you have been in Germany for less than six months at the time the Humboldt Foundation receives your application or
- you have returned from a stay in Germany of more than six months and have subsequently stayed abroad for more than twelve months at the time the Humboldt Foundation receives your application.
In all other cases we regret that we cannot consider your application.
Who can be my academic host?
How can I find an academic host?
We would like to draw your attention to the following search engines for hosts and research institutes: We would also like to draw your attention to the open access part of the Network Online. This database features a large proportion of the Foundation's more than 25,000 academics sponsored worldwide. Here you can search for names, disciplines and keywords.
Can I conduct my research stay with two academic hosts?
Will my host institute receive any additional funds for the costs it incurs in connection with my research stay?
Please see the respective FAQ of the Department Sponsorship and Network.
Can I apply to several Humboldt Foundation fellowship programmes at the same time, or can I apply for a Humboldt Fellowship and the Sofja Kovalevskaja Award at the same time if I fulfil the formal requirements?
Can I apply for a fellowship from another institution at the same time I submit my application to the Humboldt Foundation?
Can I conduct part of my research work abroad?
Can I apply for a research fellowship for a period of less than six months?
I am a postdoctoral researcher. Can I divide up my research stay?
Do I have to divide up my research stays strictly according to the model specified by the programme line for experienced researchers?
When do I have to start the fellowship period at the latest?
What is the value of the fellowship?
Will you pay the fellowship retroactively if I am already at the host institute at the time of being selected?
Is the intensive German language course part of my research fellowship?
When can I attend a language course?
Do I have to take a language course?
Can I bring my family?
Which publications should I add to my application?
If you wish to cite your dissertation as a key publication but have not yet submitted it for print, please enclose the original manuscript of your doctoral thesis as a PDF document.
You will find detailed information in our Guidelines for completing the application for researchers coming to Germany.
May I include works that have not yet been submitted for publication in the list of key publications and the complete list of publications?
Exception: Your dissertation may be cited as a key publication even if you have not yet submitted it to a publisher. If you wish to cite your dissertation as a key publication but have not yet submitted it for print, please enclose the original manuscript of your doctoral thesis as a PDF document.
I have not yet completed my doctorate. Do I have to hand in my doctoral certificate later?
What are key publications?
Please note that you cannot amend your selection of key publications once the selection process has begun.
How many key publications should I cite?
If you are applying for a fellowship for experienced researchers you must choose at least three key publications. You may cite a maximum of five. Surplus key publications will be removed from the list without notifying the applicant.
How should I explain why I have chosen a key publication?
Should my key publications also be cited in the complete list of publications?
Please note that it is not possible to amend the list of publications submitted once the selection process has begun.