Georg Forster Research Fellowship
Top opportunities for researchers from developing countries
Please send us your application,
- if you are a researcher with above average qualifications in a developing or transition country (see list of countries),
- if you intend to carry out long-term research of your own choice (6 to 24 months) at a research institution in Germany together with an academic host you have chosen yourself,
- if your research outline includes aspects that are important for the continued development of your country or region of origin and
- if you want to contribute to the exchange of knowledge and methods between Germany and your country of origin.
We offer you
- a monthly fellowship of €2,650 for postdoctoral researchers (doctorate completed within the last four years) or €3,150 for experienced researchers (doctorate completed within the last 12 years),
- a flexible starting date and - for experienced researchers - the option of splitting the fellowship up into a maximum of three stays,
- individual mentoring during the sponsorship period,
- intensive German language course for fellows and their marital partners prior to the fellowship,
- additional financial support for accompanying family members and items like travel expenses and
- comprehensive alumni sponsorship once the research stay has come to an end, such as a Return Fellowship or further stays in Germany.
Up to 80 Georg Forster Research Fellowships can be granted in 2017. In the last few years, about one third of applications were successful (see also positive selection decisions within the past 12 months).
In addition, the Humboldt Foundation grants Georg Forster Research Awards every year to leading researchers from developing countries.
Due to the introduction of a new database system and high application rates we shall unfortunately need more time than usual to process your application for a fellowship/your nomination for an award. Therefore, at present, you must assume it will take up to ten months before you receive a decision. We are very sorry about this delay and sincerely hope that we shall be able to revert to the usual processing period of six months at the earliest opportunity.
„Forget your self-doubts and apply, you young researchers from developing countries! Your chances are much better than you think!“
Germanist and cultural historian from Cameroon
„At my host institute I had access to the latest specialised literature and to recognised experts in my field – this enriched my research work enormously.“
María Laura Böhm
Jurist and sociologist from Argentina
„Outstanding working conditions and a trusting, supportive atmosphere make my research in Berlin a pleasure.“
Hamid Taheri Shahraiyni
Environmental scientist from Iran
„I had the chance to strengthen my career prospects and widen the scope of my scientific thinking.“
Agricultural scientist from Sudan
„Once your fellowship is over, you are a Humboldt Alumnus and can apply for further funding. This helps research in poorer countries.“
Tsegare Gedif Ayele
Mathematician from Ethiopia
„This fellowship offers a wonderful opportunity to conduct research in Germany, make advances in one’s own work and get to know the greats in your field.“
Physicist from the Palestinian territories